Spilled Water, Coffee or Wine on your laptop? This is what you should do…

525270011

Spilled Water, Coffee or Wine on your laptop?
This is what you should do…

In the past few sunny weeks here at Right-Click, we’ve seen a dramatic increase in the number of liquid disasters on laptops and MacBooks, mostly involving bottles of water leaking onto machines sharing the same handbag or gym bag. We’re also encounter a few beer and wine-soaked devices too – BBQ’s and laptops don’t mix!

It's unfortunately very common for people to spill liquids on their laptops, and the results can include both electrical and physical damage, ranging from short circuits to corrosion.  Short circuits tend to happen immediately whereas corrosion general happens over a long-time and can cause fatal damage, generally where the liquid damage has been ignored and not treated.  The outcome very much depends on the type of liquid (sugary sticky drinks are far worse than water), the quantity or liquid and how quickly you react.

If you don’t turn your machine on after a spill, the chances or recover are about 70 to 80% and remember if all else fails, look on the bright side, your data is almost always recoverable / transferrable after a liquid spill.

Spilled Water, Coffee or Wine on your laptop? This is what you should do…

In the past few sunny weeks here at Right-Click, we’ve seen a dramatic increase in the number of liquid disasters on laptops and MacBooks, mostly involving bottles of water leaking onto machines sharing the same handbag or gym bag. We’re also encounter a few beer and wine-soaked devices too – BBQ’s and laptops don’t mix!

It's unfortunately very common for people to spill liquids on their laptops, and the results can include both electrical and physical damage, ranging from short circuits to corrosion.  Short circuits tend to happen immediately whereas corrosion general happens over a long-time and can cause fatal damage, generally where the liquid damage has been ignored and not treated.  The outcome very much depends on the type of liquid (sugary sticky drinks are far worse than water), the quantity or liquid and how quickly you react.

If you don’t turn your machine on after a spill, the chances or recover are about 70 to 80% and remember if all else fails, look on the bright side, your data is almost always recoverable / transferrable after a liquid spill.

1.       Turn it off – Unplug from mains power, hold down the power button until it shuts down and remove the battery (but remember some machines don’t have removable batteries). The big risk with a liquid spill onto a laptop is that the device will short out. This happens when the liquid interacts with the circuit boards inside your computer and irreparably damages electronic components.

2.       Dry the outside thoroughly with a towel (lint free if possible), then clear off a table and put a fresh towel over it

3.       Open the laptop as wide as you can, so that the screen and keyboard then put it, face and keyboard down in an upside V shape on the towel-covered table. Leave it there for at least a couple of hours so that the water can drip out

4.       Unplug external devices – remove USB drive, a mouse, or any other cords or devices plugged into any of the ports (openings) around the edge of laptop.

5.       Get it to a Professional. Once you are sure that you have dried your machine enough to safely move it, then bring it to a professional for a thorough clean. Professional cleaning services will completely dismantle the machine, check all parts for residual moisture and use chemicals to clean any minerals, sugar and other residues from the internal parts such as the motherboard.

Finally – what not to do!

  • If you don’t have specific training or the appropriate tools, then don’t attempt to open the case of your laptop by yourself. The internal components are very sensitive and you may accidentally do more harm than good.
  • DO NOT use a hair dryer or place the laptop near a radiator — the heat could cause further damage to your laptop. We’ve seen plenty of melted parts such as keyboards and trackpads and these can be very expensive to replace.
  • Although rice can be successful for devices without keyboard (iPhones or batteries etc), plunging your machine into rice can have serious and expensive consequences.  The aftermath of removing thousands of individual rice grains and dust from keyboards and internal parts – risky, expensive and certainly not a fun job!

Right-Click offer a strip down and dry out/chemical clean service for laptops and Apple Mac computers. This service takes approx 2 - 3 days. 
Right-Click l 70 Camden Street l Dublin 2 l (01) 4759681

https://www.right-click.ie/apple-mac-liquid-spill-repair/

https://www.right-click.ie/laptop-liquid-spill-repair/